Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ready Set Grow! Designed by Gemma Fletcher. DK, Tourmaline Editions, 2010. $14.99 ages 6 and up


"Your job as a gardener will change as the
plants in your garden grow, flower, fruit, and
sometimes die back for the winter. Through its
life, a plant needs to be cared for in different
ways, from its early stages as a seedling to the time
it fruits and makes seeds when it is grown."

With spring in the air, a gardener's hands begin to yearn for the feel of moist soil, mulch and small seed packets. I don't really know how that feels as I have no need to be the gardener...I just love what gardeners do, and the beautiful things that they grow. I am forever thankful to enjoy the fruits of their labors at summer market gardens and in my yard.

This should make me want to try my hand at some quick and easy projects...and I will admit that I am tempted. But, I know myself and I know that the heat and need to be constant in care will defeat me every time. That doesn't change the fact that this is a most interesting and promising invitation to those who love to get their hands dirty and who garner great satisfaction in making our world a better and more beautiful place.

There are more than thirty gardening projects here, each with numbered instructions and full-colored photographs that make them easy to tackle when summer vacation rolls around. Much information is included about container gardening, making decorations, seeding, plants that grow quickly in a variety of conditions, and even plants that make tasty treats for pets. Add to that salad boxes, magic beans and strawberry boots...it's full-out fun for the up-and-coming horticulturist.

A glossary, an index and a nicely laid out table of contents add interest and are very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment