Total Pageviews

Monday, November 16, 2009

The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins. Scholastic Canada, 2008. $19.99 ages 12 and up


"When I was younger, I scared my mother to death, the things I would blurt out about District 12, about the people who rule our country, Panem, from the far-off city called the Capitol. Eventually I understood this would lead us to more trouble. So I learned to hold my tongue and to turn my features into an indifferent mask so that no one could ever read my thoughts. Do my work quietly in school. Make only polite small talk in the public market. Discuss little more than trades in the Hob, which is the black market where I make most of my money. Even at home, where I am less pleasant, I avoid discussing tricky topics. Like the reaping, or food shortages, or the Hunger Games."

War makes an imprint on everything it touches. It impacts the world, society and especially the children. Suzanne Collins reminds of that in this amazing book…the first in a planned trilogy. In a future world we first meet Katniiss, her friend Gale and her family. We come to know something of the dreadful life they lead in District 12, the final frontier in the nation of Panem. We learn quickly of The Hunger Games and its toll each year on the children of each of Panem’s twelve districts. In the annual Hunger Games competition these twenty-four children (two chosen from each district) are pitted against one another in a fight to the death. And, that is only the beginning. When her younger sister’s name is drawn as a tribute, Katniss quickly and stolidly volunteers to take her place. She cannot bear to think of Prim dying in the Games. As preparations are made for the tributes to be transported to the arena for the competition we also learn that the entire thing will be televised and everyone glued to their sets to watch the contest. Lest you think that this is not a book that you would like to read, don’t be too hasty. I was and despite many amazing reviews, I held off reading it until Erin assured me I would not be sorry. She was RIGHT! The characters are so strong, the writing so totally engrossing that I was quick to forget my aversion to violence. It is more a book about the engaging people whose lives we become part of as they seek victory for themselves, their family and their district. Don’t wait for the paperback…you will have to wait TOO long!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you decided to give this book a try! I thought that you would enjoy the writing style even if the subject matter was not exactly your cup of tea! Catching Fire is also fantastic!

    ReplyDelete