"A World of Words
Our school library
is a house
of hope
an imagination park
an opportunity store
a treasure chest
and right now
Blue and I
don't have the key
to get inside
this world of wonder
because when we arrive
there's a sign on the door
that says ...
CLOSED
Oh, I love Macy, her family, her friends, and her librarian. And ... I love that she loves books, especially the new Mighty Zora series. In fact, the first sign of trouble happens when she gets to the school library with her friend Blue to borrow the second book in that series. There is a note of apology from Ms. Coopeer saying the library is closed, due to budget cuts. Macy can't believe her eyes when that news is shared.
Kwame Alexander is such an exceptional poet and writer; here, here he proves it all over again. Through music and poetry, he shares Macy's ups and downs. There are many wonderful moments with her family, including some with her brother JoJo that often annoy her. Dad is a poet, who must travel at times to present his work to others. His absence is felt deeply by Macy as she prepares for a violin recital which she hopes he will be able to attend, and to speak up at the school board meeting about the importance of Ms. Cooper and her library.
Her mom is ever supportive while Dad is gone, encouraging Macy to have a say on behalf of all of the students and knowing she can do it. Hidden poems Dad has left for her to find while he is gone also help her with the tasks at hand. Her resilience and bravery hold her in good stead for speaking out about the importance of the library. When the time comes, Macy is as ready as she can be. She creates a symphony from the words of her friends who have important things to say about the value of the library in their lives. Here are a few excerpts:
The library
is almost
as good as
Grandma's house.
When I read
in the library
I forget
I'm at school.
One time
I found
a book and
the boy in it
looked
just like me.
Everything that Macy deals with will find empathy with readers. Who she is, and what she is able to do, has everything to do with her family, friends, and the community who come together for the greater good of all. Kwame Alexander is an incomparable poet whose books resonate with readers of all ages. I am so happy to have met Macy, and am highly anticipating meeting her again at some future date.


No comments:
Post a Comment