"Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grandpa
chatter away in words I don't understand.
They laugh at jokes I don't get either.
"Please?" I interrupt. "Can I go to sleep now?"
"I'll take you to your room," Mom says, but
Grandma shakes her head. She clamps her hand
around mine to bring me upstairs instead."
A plane ride to visit faraway family is initially very exciting for our young narrator. The trip is an endlessly long one. As they arrive, Mom and Dad are excited to be visiting their 'home' after too much time spent away from those they have been missing. Her own home is now faraway!
It isn't easy for the young traveller to recognize her grandparents; she hasn't seen them since she was a baby. Their trip though the busy city is rife with traffic noise, and yelling voices. After the discomfort of the drive and a chance to have something to eat, Grandma will help her granddaughter find a comfortable bed and a quiet room. A power outage causes the fan and night light to fail almost immediately. Grandma is quickly back with a flashlight, and uses hand shadows to keep the little one entertained with a varied collection of animals. It is exactly what the two need when language is an obstacle.
After the warmth of last night's entertainment and a restful night, she awakens to the sounds of new birds, and the smells of a delicious breakfast shared between new friends. Nicole Wong invites readers into the tale with spreads that are filled with many details and plenty of texture. Perspective changes allow readers to view the congested airport and streets that must be dealt with, the evening animal adventures, and the morning breakfast table. What a lovely family reunion!



No comments:
Post a Comment