Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Books Make Good Friends, written and illustrated by Jane Mount. Chronicle Books, Raincoast. 2023. $26.99 ages 6 and up

 


"On weekends my family likes to hike. 
Nature is nice, I guess. 

I'd rather be reading. 

I can't read while we're hiking, of course 
(I wish), but I brought books for the picnic.
My mom gave me this book about nature so 
I'd be more into the hike, though really I 
prefer stories with magic in them. 

But some of the creatures do seem 
pretty cool."

Lotti is a girl after my own heart. She really loves books. Her stacks are filled with titles that will be familiar to many who read her story. I found myself paying careful attention to those spines, finding many titles I had read and new ones that I listed ... just in case I need to add to my own TBR stack. 

Lotti finds it difficult to be at school; she does not make friends easily. The others seem content to be together and are easy company. Lotti hangs back, more spectator than participant. Reading takes precedence and Lotti finds solace in her books. On the playground, it's mostly adventure stories. 

Home can be a trial. There is a LOT of talking. Lotti retreats to her room when dinner is done and the others go off to watch TV. Animal stories enhance the quiet solitude of her room. Family outings on weekends can result in Lotti reading nature books, and discovering that much of what she has read is right in front of her. Nonfiction books hold abiding interest. 

When invited to visit the market with her father on Sunday, Lotti decides to give it a try. The real world becomes a touch more interesting. To her surprise, Lotti also finds drawing with her brother, Nox, fun. The librarian helps Lotti finds a book about friends; Lotti hopes that reading about them will help her understand them. Surprise! She meets a friend there who loves books as much as she does. Baking cookies with her aunt leads to sharing those cookies at school, and a chance to expand her group of friends. In doing so, she sets her shyness aside to welcome a new student with a cookie and a book.  

Lotti's first-person voice provides authenticity and empathy for a girl whose love of books is first and foremost. As her world expands, she begins to understand more about herself and the value of friendship. The illustrations, created using gouache, ink, and gel pens, are brilliant. Readers will find books they have read, or want to read. An author's note, a page filled with the titles of 'many of my most favorite books ever', a recipe for 'friend-making cookies', and an invitation to start a book club bring this lovely book to an end ... 

It's definitely a 'keeper'! I can't wait to share it tomorrow with my granddaughters. I hope they will feel the same as I do about it.                                                                                  


No comments:

Post a Comment