Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 12, 2023

The Sour Grape, written by Jory John and illustrated by Pete Oswald. Harper, 2022. $24.99 ages 4 and up

 


"It was my birthday. 
I had rigorously and vigorously planned a 
big party for weeks. I'd sent out invitations 
with the date prominently displayed.

Get this: I had a Ferris wheel, a magician, and 
hayrides. I had snacks upon snacks upon snacks. 
The highlight of the party, though, was a fireworks 
display, which would happen at sundown.

This is the sixth book in the Food Group series. I have enjoyed each and every one, and have shared them many times in classrooms and with my granddaughters. 

The narrator is one grumpy grape! Grudge holding is his best work. He has a formidable temper and a very quick response to anyone and anything that draws his ire. He does explain that he has not always been such a bellyacher. He grew up in a large, but happy family. Life was good all around. One heartbreaking event turned him on his heel, and changed his feelings about the world and those in it. The plans he made for his birthday party were awesome; not one invitee showed up.

"Nobody showed up. And I mean nobody.
By the time the fireworks show started - 
with me as the sole spectator - I was 
scowling. 

I considered everybody I'd invited and only one 
thought came to mind: Grudge grudge grudge grudge
grudge 

          grudge ... "

What a personality change! Everything annoyed him, and the grudges got more and more scowly. It took a disagreement with a friend to turn the tide. It was quite the surprise to this grumpy grape how his friend's reaction to his being late made him feel. In fact, it made him think back to when he was a much sweeter grape, and to make a discovery that left him a little red-faced. Would that end his complaining ways? 

Another great lesson taught through fun and thoughtfulness, with enjoyable and entertaining artwork to add humor and context.                                                                                     


No comments:

Post a Comment