Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Is This Your Class Pet? Written and illustrated by Troy Cummings. Penguin Random House, 2022. $23.99 ages 4 and up

 

"Dear School Principal, 

I am good at fetching. 
I fetch sticks. 
I fetch squeaky toys. 
One time I even fetched underpants. 

But today at school I fetched something
by accident: a teeny green rock hiding in 
my vest. 

But it wasn't a rock! It was a turtle. 
She is shy and quiet but also brave. 
I call her Hidey. 

I think she might be a class pet! 
What should I do?

ARFY"

We met Arfy first in Can I Be Your Dog (2018), then again in I Found a Kitty (2020), and now at his new job. He is helping kids become more confident as they read to him in the school library. Arfy is a writer, and uses that skill to let readers know what he is thinking. 

He loves his job at school, and promises to be the 'best' worker' they could have.  He has soft fur for cuddling, and his ears help him listen. What more is needed? The librarian offers a quick note of thanks and praise for his fine work. As Arfy and Mitzy return home, he feels a slight wiggle in the pocket of his 'helper dog' vest. It's a turtle; he must find the wee turtle's school home. 

The rest of the book is a series of questions and answers concerning where the turtle belongs. Letters go to the principal, the lunchroom cooks, the gym coach, the art teacher, and finally, an online chat with the kids in Mrs. Tortuga's class. How excited they are to know their lost class pet is FOUND! 

The final spread shows Mitzy and Arfy returning home from another school visit ... oops! This time the stowaway is a tiny surprise. Illustrations show Arfy's expressive demeanor, the messaging in various formats, and the diversity of both children and staff at the school. Comical and charming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment