Total Pageviews

Monday, September 20, 2021

If I Were a Tree, written by Andrea Zimmerman and illustrated by Jing Jing Tsong. Lee & Low Books, Fitzhenry and Whiteside. 2021. $24.99 ages 3 and up


"If I were a tree, I know what I'd feel.
The warmth of the sun, and squirrels on the run. 
I'd feel nests on my bark, bats hiding till dark, 
The climbing of boots, and worms by my roots.

If I were a tree, that's what I'd feel."

A family adventure and a first-person narration encourage young readers to take a close look at trees, by using each of their senses. As the travel to their camping destination, the two children discuss the many special attributes of the trees they are observing as they pass them by. 

The verses throughout begin with the same premise; If I were a tree, I'd know what ... Each statement is made from the perspective of the trees, and that are so evident on every spread. The imagination soars with thinking about exactly what trees would know, feel, taste, smell, hear, see, love, and again know as the day winds down. 

"If I were a tree, I know what I'd know. 
That days come and go, and green leaves will grow.
I'd know branches can bend, and cold spells will end, 
That spring will renew, and life carries through. 

If I were a tree, that's what I'd know."

Listeners will be entertained by the rhyming verses and accessible text as the family wanders through the forest. They will be charmed by the colorful and detailed digital art as it combines printmaking and collage. Textured images and changing perspectives hold attention and offer much to see. 

In back matter, the author invites readers to take careful note of the trees that grow where they live, and use their own senses to truly understand their many features.                                                                                          


1 comment:

  1. I’m so glad that you enjoyed our book!
    Thanks for the lovely review.
    Andrea Zimmerman

    ReplyDelete