Total Pageviews

Friday, January 15, 2021

Hard-Boiled Bugs for Breakfast and Other Tasty Poems. Written by Jack Prelutsky with drawings by Ruth Chan. Harper, 2021. $23.99 ages 8 and up

 


"The Leaves Are Drifting

The leaves are drifting to the ground, 
I'm thoroughly ecstatic. 
They do that every single fall ... 
It's sort of autumn-atic.

My Nose

I'm happy that my nose is short,
and not twelve inches long, 
For then my nose would be a foot -
That would be very wrong."

Were it 1984, and were I teaching second grade (as I was then), and were this lively new book by Jack Prelutsky on my bookshelf at that time (impossible), the two poems that introduce this post would be the first poems of our day. Poetry was promised every single day of our year, and Jack Prelutsky was one of our favorite poets. 

Having reached 80 years of age, I am delighted to read that he still spends much of his time in schools reading poetry to children. His work is abundant. I have been collecting his books since I read There's A New Kid on the Block (Harper, 1984). It is shelved for my granddaughters' visit this summer, all things being well. For now, I will have to read to them on FaceTime. This collection of more than 100 poems will entertain and enchant those new to his work, and will be welcomed by fans of his earlier books. 

The topics are many, the humor abundant, and Mr. Prelutsky's capacity for always elevating language remains at the fore. I am ever impressed with his belief in his readers and their ability to listen and comprehend his eloquent and inventive wordplay. Shaped poems, a short selection of haiku, ingenious animal combinations, and the importance of life itself provide much to ponder. Ms. Chan adds comedic bursts and context for eagle-eyed listeners. 

"Above a Meadow

Above a meadow, sneezing bees 
Have sneezed and sneezed for hours. 
Those sneezing bees have allergies ... 
They're allergic to the flowers.

I Have a Gnu

I have a gnu that's not too new, 
It's older than before. 
It's obvious my gnu is not
A new gnu anymore. 

My gnu is less new every day, 
It's normal for a gnu.
And I have heard a rumor
That it's true for people, too.
"

No comments:

Post a Comment