Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Clothesline, written and illustrated by Orbie.Owlbooks, 2019. $18.95 ages 5 and up

"This is what Mom would call a dilemma.

Either I fall,
because my left hand is already telling me that I’m too heavy for it to hold up, or I help my left hand with my right.

But then I’d have to drop my three dimes."

Oh, Reggie! You are something. I'm so happy that we met, and that I can share your scary, but happy-ending tale of woe.

Reggie and his mom live in a second-floor apartment above a corner store. Doing chores for Mom doesn't seem so bad, and is expected. As soon as he is paid, Reggie is off to spend whatever change she has given him. He zips down the stairs with his heart full of happiness at the thought of the candy to come. As he does, he yanks the clothesline knot because he loves the sound it makes.

On this fateful day, the events are as usual ... except that he trips, grabs the knot and ends up on the clothesline. Hanging above the backyard by one hand, he realizes he is in some trouble. Doing his best to hang on, he worries about dropping the coins he was going to spend at the store. Once dropped, he decides he needs help. He begins yelling for his mother, to no avail (readers see her inside reading with a headset on - totally oblivious to her son's pleas for help).

Reggie hangs around - wishing and hoping that someone will notice. It doesn't happen. With his strength waning, and his fear of falling overpowering, he yells again for help from his mother. Angrier and angrier, he moves about, slips from the knot and lands on the grass (and his hands and knees). A few tears result, and he finally notices his coins on the ground. Off he goes, not much the worse for wear.

Kids will love the graphic format, the humor, the dire situation that Reggie faces, and the end result. Satisfying and absolutely worthy of visiting again, and then again!
                                                                             
     

No comments:

Post a Comment