Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2019

Thanku: Poems of Gratitude, edited by Miranda Paul and illustrated by Marlena Myles. Millbrook, Thomas Allen and Son. 2019. $29.99 ages 8 and up

"Falling Leaves
by JaNay Brown-Wood

I loved the leaves
That dropped from the trees
And danced in the breeze
In Autumn.

The vibrant reds
That fell on my head
Or the lawn where I tread
And trot on 'em."

You know I love poetry. You might also know how hard I think it is to write it. That being said, I express gratitude for this anthology; its theme is giving thanks. Miranda Paul has chosen beautifully penned poems from a group of more than thirty diverse voices, all focused on favorite things. It's a brilliant collection and useful when having its intended audience consider what holds importance and gratitude for them.

The range of poetic form is in keeping with the voices shared here.

"Each Scar 
by Baptiste Paul 

My mom says
be thankful
for each scar.

So I play,
Every day.
Lose my way.

Bash, crash, rough -
Mom, it's tough
to thank scars. 

format: tricube"

This tricube is accompanied by a digital illustration showing a child on roller blades, helmeted and with wrist and knee protectors, losing balance thanks to an undone lace. Each of the poems included are of the same design ... the title, poet, poem itself and its form, presented on a textured, colorful background.

"Dimples 
by Chrystal D. Giles

Deep indents in my brown skin
Inspired by the smile bouncing upward from my toes
Mirror to the brightness in my soul
Pools of laughter, bubbling up and spilling out
Love, light, and bursts of cheers
Expressions of peace, pops of joy
Sun-soaked, beaming cheeks, reflections of happy me

format: acrostic"

A young child with a wide smile shows total joy in swinging at the park. Feet up, hands holding tight to the swing hangers, this is a special memory for many children.

And my own favorite from this collection; although I do not have cats, I absolutely understand the joy to be found in such days.

"All This 
by Liz Garton Scanlon

Snow
a book
hot cocoa
a bubble bath
and two curled-up cats.
Another book, more snow
and those cats - oh, how they purr.
Even when the world's dark and cold
there is all this to be grateful for
and I purr too: Thank you, thank you, thank you.

format: Etheree"

The illustration is soft curtains, a white world, a steaming mug, an opened book and those purring cats. Lovely! I would have tea, a cozy blanket and soft music playing in the background.

 Backmatter includes a list of the poetic forms and literary devices included, with an explanation of each, plus an appeal to try them at home. There follows a list of contributors and a short paragraph about each one. The final page includes an editor's note to teachers and parents, and a list of resources.

Thank you, Miranda Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment