Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Small in the City, written and illustrated by Sydney Smith. Groundwood, 2019. $19.95 ages 5 and up


"The streets are always busy.

It can make your brain feel like
there's too much stuff in it.

But I know you.
You'll be all right.
If you want, I can give you
some advice."

 I started yesterday with the most amazing news: Sydney Smith has won the Governor-General's Literary Award for Young People's Literature - Illustrated Books!

It's not amazing that this book won. It is deserving of every award it is sure to garner. It was such splendid news to read as I opened my eyes to the news of the day. I was trying to tell a group of teachers and preservice teachers about it last Friday in a workshop about new and worthy books for kids. I felt I had done a miserable job of it. It is hard for the large group to see the stunning artwork, and I did not take the time it deserves for the quiet and tender reading. It should have careful attention paid to every word and every image.

I will do my best to tell you a little bit about it. I know I will not do it justice. You will have to read it for yourself to get the full impact. It should be in every public, school, and home library that honors perfect books to be shared with the children we love.

A 'small' child peers from a streetcar window. The chosen stop is busy with traffic and people. It is difficult to see that small child in the chaos of the city; it is easy to see how hard it is to navigate the streets with the cacophony of sounds, and crowds of constantly moving humans. It's challenging to be there alone and to make decisions about the path to take. This child narrator keeps up a conversation as the walk progresses, with quiet contemplation of all that is happening and an assurance that the one meant to hear the words will be just fine. Advice is given:

"Alleys can be good shortcuts.

But don't go down this alley.
It's too dark.

Three big dogs chase and
bite each other in this yard.
I would avoid this place ...

if I were you."

The child places a LOST poster on a pole. Readers are made aware that a cat is missing, and the child's words are meant for its ears. So much emotion in every word, on every page, and all with a desire to lure the pet back from where it has gone. So quiet, so extraordinary.

Set in Toronto, and conveying the hustle of the city, the dangers inherent in travelling its busy streets, the grip of snow and cold, and the concern of the child every step of the way, it is quietly magnificent. Sydney Smith takes readers, along with the child, from dark and dangerous to light, warmth and welcome. Back in familiar surroundings, the child can only hope the cat comes back. Then, Mr. Smith leaves his audience to wonder at a twist on the very last spread. 
                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment