Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Who Wet My Pants? Written by Bob Shea and illustrated by Zachariah Ohora. Little, Brown and Company. Hachette. 2019. $23.49 ages 3 and up

"Did YOU 
wet my
pants?

Don't worry about 
it, Reuben. It could 
happen to anyone. 

But it didn't happen to
anyone! It happened to me!
All I want is JUSTICE!"

This is one of those books I would love to read in a classroom. I can only imagine the sneaky smiles, the quick giggles, the loud guffaws as listeners meet Reuben, a bear scout, following his return from a donut run for the rest of his troop. As they roast marshmallows and listen to the list of flavors purchased, they cannot help but notice the wet spot in the crotch of Reuben's pants. Noticing their attention, the bear becomes quickly adamant that someone is responsible for wetting his pants. He demands an answer.

"Oh, sure, it's all chipper,
cheery Chattytown when
I bring donuts, but when
someone wets my pants,
everybody clams up."

The others show concern and embarrassment for their friend, and offer sympathy and kindness. Reuben is not to be thwarted in his search for the culprit, holding the donuts hostage until someone owns up to it.

"Fine. NO ONE gets donuts
until I get answers.

I'll get to the bottom of my
wet pants if it's the last thing
I do!"

While blaming every one of his scouting friends, he reports what has happened throughout his day. A perfect explanation for the accident; not yet enough to break Reuben and his need to blame someone or something else. Finally, he is able to place blame where that blame is due - on his pants themselves. They must be broken.

Pants removed, reason found for the wet pants, the friends can finally enjoy their highly anticipated snack.

There is much to see in Zachariah Ohora's signature artwork. Full of bold colors, humor and expressive characters, they hold attention and beg a closer look. The dialogue balloons offer readers a perfect story to share in a read aloud setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment