Total Pageviews

Monday, April 22, 2019

Up Verses Down: Poems, Paintings, and Serious Nonsense, by Calef Brown. Henry Holt and Company, Macmillan. Raincoast. 2019. $23.50 ages 6 and up

"My aunts all have warts
and my uncles have wrinkles.
My numerous cousins
have dozens of pimples.
My brothers are balding
with scars on their chins.
My parents have ear hair
and so do their twins.
It may not be gorgeous,
my family tree,
but I love all the leaves -
they look perfect to me."

I am a fan of nonsense verse and wordplay. Calef Brown is adept at both. I have read these poems a few times in preparation for writing this post today, and found myself laughing out loud at some of them. I definitely have favorites. I know that kids who have the same propensity for fun poetry will find much to please them here.

"The kid who ate the gooey paste
and so enjoyed the chewy taste
back in elementary school
became eventually cool.
He's now a famous baker -
the finest in the South.
His pastries are awesome
(but stick to the roof of your mouth)."

He begins with an intro, ends with an outro ... and in between, Mr. Brown divides his work into five categories ... People are People, Foodstuffs, Sleepy Time, Oddments, and Animal Life. 

He offers a clear reason for penning this collection in The Intro:

"Welcomeeveryoneeverywhere! 
I'm overjoyed that I can share
this, my thirteenth book so far.
I did my best to raise the bar.
The poems within, they widely range
from purely fun to very strange."

And range they do - in topic, form, rhyme, and meter. Each page is illustrated for enjoyment and to grab and hold attention. Readers will be delighted with the range in color, the many details, and the always evident humor. He expresses the notion that nonsense is serious to him, and in a postscript adds 'I hope you like the art.'

"My favorite place
on the face of the earth?
Undoubtedly Simile Park.
As vast as the sea
and as precious to me
as a diamond aglow in the dark.
The trees are like steeples,
the rivers like glass.
The wind sounds as sweet as a lark.
My mind is at rest
like a comfortable guest
relaxing in Simile Park."

In The Outro, he encourages his readers to give poetry a go ...

"Try any, or all. Answer the call!
And now for a few more (un-asked-for) suggestions.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Following is a list that offers guidance for thinking, drawing and writing as complementary devices, recalling, writing, choosing, counting and composing. 'Okay, I'm done. Have fun!'
                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment