Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Poet X, written by Elizabeth Acevedo. Harper, 2018. $21.99 ages 14 and up

"I should be used to it.
I shouldn't get so angry
when boys - and sometimes
grown- ass men -
talk to me however they want,
think they can grab themselves
or rub against me
or make all kinds of offers.
But I'm never used to it.
And it always makes my hands shake.
Always makes my throat tight."

https://youtu.be/YH4gIM6TZkQ

I really don't need to say much more than Elizabeth Acevedo just said about her brilliant debut  ... but, I will! I don't want you to miss reading this important, powerful, meaningful and courageously written novel which just won the 2018 National Book Award for Young People's Literature. Lucky I am to share it with you. It is a book I read in the summer, and it continues to find its way into my heart and my head. It certainly does not speak to my own experience; rather, it informs, enlightens, and opens my heart to Xiomara Batista and the amazing young woman she is, and the many other young women she represents through her compelling, poetic voice. . 

Although a twin to Xavier, the two have little in common but their love for each other. X is tough, outspoken, and 'one who is ready for war' (as is the meaning of her given name).  Her controlling parents wish it were not so. As she nears her confirmation in the Catholic church, she begins to ask questions - it is not a popular stance with her parents, her brother, or her best friend. She must constantly reject attention from her male peers and the older men in her neighborhood. She is intrigued by her lab partner Aman. His interest in X has little to do with how she looks. The two are attracted to one another, and keep it a secret.

It is only through poetry that X is able to clearly express her thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams. Readers will be drawn to her story through that poetry, and will feel the undeniable emotions she is able to share there. There is so much love - for her parents, her brother, her best friend and for Aman. Her story is also awash with misunderstanding, secrets, rebellion, a growing sense of self. A teacher's invitation to join the poetry club is enticing, but fraught with difficulty. If she joins, without her mother's approval, will she ever be able to share the poems that speak to her heart and who she really is. 

"Every Day after English Class

Ms. Galiano asks me to read her something new.
With five minutes between classes,
I know I need to pick the best and shortest pieces in advance.
But every day I pick a new poem and I have learned:
to slow down, to breathe, to pace myself, to show emotion.

The last day before winter break
Ms. Galiano tells me I'm really blossoming."

Brilliant, forceful, heartbreaking, and full of impact on every page, you should read this book and then share it with others.

 “It almost feels like
 the more I bruise the page
 the quicker something inside me heals.”

Bravo and congratulations!

https://youtu.be/ha3awWZtifM

No comments:

Post a Comment