Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 20, 2018

CHAMPION: The Story of Muhammad Ali. Written by Jim Haskins and illustrated by Eric Velasquez. Bloomsbury, Raincoast. 2018. $23.99 ages 8 and up

"Not long afterward, Cassius Clay walked into a restaurant and ordered a glass of orange juice. The owner would not serve him because he was black. Cassius said that the pain he felt was like having to take punches without hitting back. After the Olympics, Cassius turned professional. From then on, he fought for money. A group of local white businessmen paid his expenses."

Let me just say this: I am NOT a fan of boxing. I do, however, have great admiration for Muhammad Ali. It was not always that way. Like so many, I was taken aback by his confidence, but loved his humor. His braggadocio captured the attention of many, including myself, and garnered ardent fans. I was not among them, although I will admit I watched him fight on a few occasions. He commanded attention!

Ali did so much in his lifetime; this book is evidence of that. Jim Haskins knows exactly how to capture the reader's attention with a story that begins on January 17, 1942, the day Cassius Clay Jr. was born. He introduces readers to  the Clay family, his early family life and then takes us to his twelfth birthday when the red bicycle he received was soon stolen, and never returned. Ready to fight, young Cassius was advised that he had better learn how to do it first. The policeman who shared that advice offered to teach him to box. What a beginning for the young boy who would become the most famous of all boxers!

The book then follows his life, with honesty and clarity, through the triumphs and tragedies he experienced. Fans will be familiar with his gold medal win at the 1960 Olympics, his conversion to Islam, his refusal to fight in Vietnam, his highly publicized bouts, his retirement from the ring and his battle with Parkinson's. I cannot tell you how emotional I felt with he appeared bearing the final torch at the Olympics in Atlanta. Millions watched and I feel to safe to say that many felt the exactly the same way as I did. It was awesome ... and heartbreaking. 

This story is told with honesty and admiration. The artwork, painted in oils, is rich in detail and visually stunning. It is a tribute worth adding to your list of essential picture book biographies.

No comments:

Post a Comment