Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Alma and How She Got Her Name, wirtten and illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal. Candlewick Press, Penguin Random House. 2018. $21.99 ages 3 and up

"ESPERANZA was your great-grandmother," he continued. "She hoped to travel, but never left the city where she was born. Her only son grew up to cross the seven seas. Wherever her sailor son went, so did Esperanza's heart. "The world is so big! I want to go see it, Daddy."

When I was much younger than I am now, my family called me Sally Anne. They are my given names, and I am thankful that no one calls me that any longer. The only saving grace at the time was that my parents hadn't called me Sarah. It was my maternal grandmother's name, and I thought it was far too old-fashioned. Isn't it funny how we change? I was named for both of my grandmothers: Sarah, whose story I learned from my mother and her family and from my grandmother whenever I asked questions (although I rarely saw her), and Annie, my paternal grandmother who died when my dad was young and we knew little about her at all. 

There is usually a story behind our names. I wonder how many of us know that story. Alma Sofia Esperanza Jose Pura Candela complains about its length to her father. She can never write it on a single piece of paper. Her father offers to tell her the story of the name she was given, starting with Sofia. As she listens to his stories, she learns much about family, love, and heritage. Looking at the photographs of those who inspired her given names, she realizes that she has much in common with them. Her name does fit. Alma is a name chosen especially for her - one day it will have its own story.

Juana Martinez-Neal's illustrations 'were done with graphite, colored pencils, and print transfers on handmade textured paper.' It is a perfectly chosen way to share tales from the past. Mostly limited to black and gray, the bits of color come from Alma herself. Dressed in red stripes, with gentle spots of color on her cheeks and in the bow in her hair, readers will  always be attentive to Alma's presence on the page. Each of the photographs produced in vintage style include personal details that make her chosen names so welcome. Warm and spirited, they provide for Alma connections to those who came before her, and whose legacy is one of lasting love.

What is your name story?
                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment