Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 8, 2018

I Can Be Anything! Don't Tell Me I Can't. Written and illustrated by Diane Dillon. Blue Sky Press, Scholastic. 2018. $23.99 ages 4 and up

"No, I'm not. I'm bigger than
you. Maybe I'll be a scientist
and discover things, or I'll be
an inventor and build a robot
that will talk louder than you -
so I won't hear you."

The voice was quiet for a
while.

"I'll be a veterinarian and help ... "

Zoe is not afraid to dream, and to voice those dreams for her future. Nothing is going to get in her way. The voice has something to say about that:

"What if you fall? said a little voice."

"What if you can't get home? said the voice.

"What if you get homesick?
You're too little, said the voice."

Zoe is tenacious, and imaginative. She is not too little. She will not fall. Always, that little voice to make her stop and think ... but, she won't give up her dream of being anything she wants to be. That voice won't stop her. Zoe gives young readers pause to consider what they want for their future. In the end, she knows exactly what she must do.

" ... but first I have to learn to read ...
and read ... and read! And I'll read books
about all the things I can be.
Don't tell me I can't!"

In this first book to be both written and illustrated by Diane Dillon, she brings Zoe into scenes filled with detail and placed on thick white framed borders. Each little scenario shows a confident, thoughtful little girl making her way in a world of imagination and delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment