Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

I Am Canada: A Celebration, by Heather Patterson, with illustrations by thirteen Canadian illustrators. Scholastic, 2017. $19.19 all ages

"I stay out late
and see the northern
lights.

I have time.

I watch.
I touch.
I listen.
I make up my mind."

In Canada, we have said farewell to our 150th anniversary, a year of great celebration in every part of the country. In 2006 Scholastic published the first version of this book with photos showing children across the country as they lived their lives daily.

In this new edition, some of Canada's most illustrious artists in the field of children's literature have brought their talent to the celebration of Canada and what it means to many. The text is unchanged, the artwork has changed dramatically. There is diversity in the children, as well as in the style of the illustrations and the design of each spread. The artists were given a piece of text, and used their own life experiences and setting, and given leeway for interpretation of that piece. Every scene is set in the open air, in seasonal splendor, and filled with the joy and wonder of a Canadian landscape for children. It is a magical collaboration.

Canada means much to many, including the artists whose works evoke memories of people, places, seasons, and events. Following the free verse text, each participant is given a chance to tell what makes Canada so unique for them. A photograph and the line that inspired their contribution is included.

"Jeremy Tankard
I am Canada.

I love that Canadians celebrate our diverse population as much as
our varied landscape. This piece was an opportunity to celebrate
both. I wanted an image that invites us into the book but also into
the remarkable place we call home. And as a bonus I got to draw
children hiking - one of my favourite activities."


No comments:

Post a Comment