Total Pageviews

Friday, November 18, 2016

I Hear a Pickle (and Smell, See, Touch, and Taste It, Too!) Written and illustrated by Rachel Isadora. Nancy Paulsen Books, Penguin. 2016. $21.99 ages 2 and up

"I smell bread.
I'm hungry!

I smell toast.
It's burnt!

I smell the pizza.
Yum!

I smell the cheese.
Stinky!"

What a fine celebration of the senses this is! There are five parts to it - one for each of the senses. They are coded by color, which only makes it even more appealing for little ones. The children who describe those things they are hearing, smelling, seeing, touching and tasting add personality and connection for the children who will take great enjoyment from listening to them.

It is a day in the life of many young children as they experience the old and the new. Onomatopoeic words will be most appreciated and echoed as the book is sure to be read often. Discussion will certainly result as they pore over the many spot pictures reflecting that daily life, and think about other things that they have smelled, touched, seen, heard and tasted.

I love that there are do and don't images that will surely encourage explanation, caution and understanding.

"I smell the rain.

I smell the grass!
It's so fresh!

I don't like to smell cow poop."

Simple, yet revealing. Expressive at every turn. Often humorous. These vignettes are engaging and very entertaining.

Why a pickle? you ask.

"I taste the pickle.
It's sour.
I smell the pickle.
It's spicy.
I see the pickle.
It's green.
I touch the pickle.
It's slippery.
I hear the pickle ...

CRUNCH!"

Ta da! A jar of dills might be the perfect follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment