Total Pageviews

Friday, April 1, 2016

Zoomberry, written by Dennis Lee and illustrated by Dusan Petricic. Harper, 2016. $12.99 ages 2 and up

"I said it once,
I said it twice,
I said it three
times three;
With mighty shout
I bawled it out
Until he growled at me,
"You have to say
it softly,
You have to say it
slow ... "

I would be very embarrassed not to share a book of poetry on this the first day of another National Poetry Month! I don't have enough for a new one every day, but I will do my best to keep poetry alive through all the days of April.

I hope you are reading poems with your kids, your students, your fellow teachers!

I am delighted to share this wonderful new book from Canada's Father Goose ... Dennis Lee!  I read the poem first when I was sharing Melvis and Elvis in classes and with you last year. "The Wizard" has found new life as a standalone poem in board book form and will be enjoyed many times over at bedtime, and when little ones want to share their dream of flying. Who hasn't dreamt of doing that?

The wizard, although a bit grumpy, is willing to share his magic nightly intonation with our young sleepyhead. And it works!

The intensely appealing illustrations that Dusan Petiricic has created to accompany this addictive ditty evokes the gentle darkness of approaching bedtime and the magic that the wizard creates for his young charge. I love each one of the flying things that are part of the final double page spread!


                                                   Happy Poetry Month to all!
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment