Total Pageviews

Friday, January 29, 2016

A Great Big Cuddle, written by Michael Rosen and illustrated by Chris Riddell. Candlewick Press, Random House. 2015. $25.99 ages 2 and up

"I WENT

I went to Lapland
I saw a reindeer on the loose.
I went to Canada
I saw a chocolate mousse.
I went to the river
I saw a big green frog.
I went to New York
I saw a hot dog."

I have collected books of poetry for many years, and am always on the lookout for a new one to add to the libraries of new babies. This one is a keeper and a perfect baby gift if you are wanting to start, or add to, a library for the little one.

Michael Rosen has filled its pages with thirty-five poems that are perfect fare for very young children. They will hear language that is rhythmic and filled with the many ways of the world that they are learning about at every turn. Repetitive sounds, silly rhymes, frenetic at times, and always just right for little ones who love a zany joke and nonsense words, it begs to be read aloud with expression, and repeatedly.

Before you begin the sharing, be sure that you have done a little practice as there are a few that made my tongue turn in circles and even had me chuckling out loud at how difficult it was to speak each and every word.

"Top button
Bottom button
Top button
Top.

Bottom button
Top button
Bottom button
Bop.

Top, top
Bottom button top
Bop, bop
Bottom button bop."

Some are loud, and others quiet. Some are funny, others sad. All will be enjoyed when shared. Chris Riddell uses watercolor and pencil to ensure a universal appeal. The colors are bright, the images as appealing as the poems they illustrate. Kids will fall in love with the characters and want to give them a 'great big cuddle'.

Perfect for your own toddler, or for the next baby shower you attend.

                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment