Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Garbage Delight, poem by Dennis Lee with illustrations by Sandy Nichols. Harper, 2015. $12.99 ages 2 and up

"If somebody gurgles,
"Please eat my
hamburgles,"
I try to make room in
my belly.

I seem, if they scream,
Not to gag on ice-cream,
And with fudge I can choke
down my fright; ... "

It wasn't long ago that I told you about the release, in a re-issue, of Dennis Lee's Alligator Pie. I love it and so does my granddaughter. It takes me back to the early 80s when I was sharing poetry daily in my classroom. We loved Dennis Lee's books!

His lilting rhymes and silly situations had my kids at school and at home giggling. We shared the books over and over again, always happy with his Canadian references, his tantalizing subjects and his unique and most enjoyable ways with words. Taking one of our favorite poems and making it front and center for this new release is masterful.

The design is, once again, so clever, and the illustrations and filled with delight for the youngest readers. They tell their own story of a little bear leaving the warmth and security of his mother to follow an enticing path dotted with food. That path leads to a fenced yard, a straw picnic basket with a hole, and a garbage bin overflowing with bags of aromatic wonder. The apparently stuffed alligator and lamb, once languishing next to the basket, take an interest in the bear and his doings.

We are witness to all that he finds in those bags. We watch as he indulges himself with all manner of garbage, until he is full to the brim and looking quite squeamish. Then, it's new friends to the rescue.

It's published this time as a board book. So, it's just right for a brand new generation of admirers!

No comments:

Post a Comment