Total Pageviews

Monday, August 1, 2011

Ghost Trackers, written by Chris Gudgeon. Tundra, 2010. $16.99 ages 10 and up


"How do you become a
Ghost Tracker? All you
need is an open mind, an
interest in ghosts, and a
desire to investigate the
unexplained.
Some people say that
ghosts don't exist. Some
just aren't sure."

If you have a child who is interested in ghosts, or work with children who share that same curiosity, this is a book that they are sure to enjoy. It is inspired by the TV series and offers a well written look at the supernatural world. I have to admit that I was not sure I wanted to read it, but I quickly changed my mind as I became quite invested in the stories told, text box inclusions and the variety of spirits discussed here.

The introduction offers a personal story from the author:

"That's when I noticed a strange luminous shape, vaguely human, at the foot of the bed. At first I thought it was a reflection of some kind, maybe from a car's headlights from the road nearby. But the pale light did not go away. It just sort of floated. I thought that maybe it was my imagination. Remember, I was still  half-asleep. But then my wife asked, "Do you see that?"'

That was the impetus for the author's growing interest in ghosts; after much research and questioning, he created a reality show called Ghost Trackers. In it he works with regular kids and helps train them to be ghost hunters. He says this is a book for 'anyone who ever wondered' about the authenticity of ghosts and other paranormal events.

He provides a history of ghosts and ghost hunters, the scientific research and search for proof of their existence, a guide to a variety of ghostly apparitions, an exploration of haunted houses and finally, a compendium of all paraphernalia needed to become a successful tracker. Very interesting stuff!

Filled with photos and enough mystery to keep the interested reader entertained and informed, this is a book that might make a believer of the most skeptical. It has not convinced me to look seriously at the 'Is My House Haunted?' text box. Maybe, I just don't want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment