Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Twosomes, written by Marilyn Singer and illustrated by Lee Wildish. Knopf, Randon House. 2011. $8.99 ages 3 and up

"Dogs

Nice to meetcha! You smell delish!
Wanna share my water dish?

Elephants

I like your tusks, I like your trunk.
I like your size - you're quite a hunk."


Oh, that Marilyn Singer....is there anything she can't do? She has taught me so much about poetry. She seems to delight in many forms. These simple two line rhymes capture the essence of the animals being described astutely and with humor. Little kids will love the rhythm and soon be reading the short ditties on their own.

As I read them I wondered if animals know anything about Valentine's Day. If they do, I am sure they would want the sentiment evident here to be stated and felt by their adoring partners. There are pets, and other members of the animal kingdom, some you might want to meet and others you would do anything to avoid. Each has a voice in this charming collection:

"Porcupines 

Hugging you takes some practice. 
So I'll start out with a cactus." 

If you are one of those people who manages to collect a box full of 'to be given' gifts for birthdays, Valentine's Day, or any other special occasion, this is one to add to your stash. It will bring delight to its recipient and costs little more than a card!

These couplets are sure to capture the attention of young readers and will be asked for again and again. The expressive and funny artwork brings life to each of the pairs and add the perfect touch to this tiny treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment