Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Marcelo in the Real World, written by Francisco X Stork. Scholastic, 2009. $19.99 ages 14 and up


"Did that sound rude? The intonation of my words is mostly the same regardless of what I say, although lately I have been able to raise my voice at the end of a sentence when I am asking a question. Most people are not able to tell that I am nervous speaking to them or that I am anxious about what I will next say to them."

Marcelo is a wonderful character, and I have been waiting to read his story with great anticipation. Marcelo has always been a student at Paterson, a school that helps those with mental and physical difficulties achieve success. Marcelo has difficulties in social situations and prevaricates on certain special interests. He loves horses and has plans to work with them during his summer vacation. His father has other ideas...he wants Marcelo to function in the 'real world'. To that end, he makes a deal with his son. If Marcelo works at Arturo's law office for the summer and succeeds in his father's 'real world', he will be allowed to attend Paterson for his senior year. If not, he will go to a public school that is in their neighborhood. He doesn't so much ask as demand that this will happen.

It throws Marcelo's ordered world into chaos, but he takes all that he has learned at Paterson and begins applying it to the work he does in the mail room at his father's office. As he learns to cope with new people and situations, and to understand what is happening around him, Marcelo makes some discoveries. The new learning leads him to make a decision that has some repercussions for his future and for others in the office, as well.

It is Marcelo's voice that will draw readers to his story. It is so authentic, and memorable. His parents are well-drawn despite the minor roles they play, the people from the office have an impact, positive and negative, and Jasmine helps him toward ever growing independence with her honesty. In the end, Marcelo does what he knows is right, despite the negative impact on others. We know, when we leave him, that he will be all right in the 'real world'.

"For all the pain I saw at Paterson, it is nothing compared to the pain that people inflict upon each other in the real world. All I can think of now is that it is not right for me to be unaware of the pain, including the pain that I inflict on others."

It is a book that I will read again!

No comments:

Post a Comment