Total Pageviews

Friday, November 20, 2009

What's the Weather Inside? Poems by Karma Wilson and drawings by Barry Blitt. Simon & Schuster, 2009. $19.99 ages 4 and up



"Herb went in the woods one day.
And now Herb is no more.
He came to an end, or so some say,
when he met a herbivore."

Well, I wore out my sticky note pad when I was reading this book. What a riot! There is so much fun in the language that Karma Wilson has chosen to share with her readers. She takes common and much-loved subjects and makes them fodder for her humorous and uplifting ideas. Kids will love to hear what their dog, cat or hamster might be thinking, how babies affect households and siblings, about spelling and big words...there is no end to the subject of study. There are list poems which are a great model for early years students wanting to try some poetry. I could go on and on, but I think you should take a look at this book to make your own discoveries. I can assure you that it will be on my list of poetry books to take and share whenever I am visiting classrooms. And there will be favorites...no doubt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment